Email Setup for Outlook 2011
Setting Up an IMAP E-mail Account
1. In Outlook, select “Outlook” then Preferences
2. Select “Accounts” then “E-mail Account”
3. Enter the following information
- E-mail address: Your full E-mail address.
- Password: The password for your E-mail address.
- User name: Your full E-mail address.
- Type: IMAP
- Incoming server: secure.emailsrvr.com Port: 465
- Check “Override default port” and “Use SSL to connect (recommended)”
- User name: Enter your entire E-mail address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org), using all lowercase letters.
- Password: Enter the password for your E-mail account.
4. Back at the account settings window, click on “More Options”
5. Change authentication to “Use Incoming Server Info” then press “OK”
6. Now close the preferences.
You have successfully setup your IMAP account with Outlook 2011
Comparing POP and IMAP
- Best when you will be primarily accessing your E-mail from a single location, like your office or home. When you leave your office or home, you can still access your E-mail from a web browser.
- Messages are downloaded to your computer, so you don’t need to worry about exceeding the size of your mailbox.
- When accessing your E-mail account through a web browser, you may not see previous messages that were download to your desktop E-mail client.
- Best when you will be accessing your E-mail from multiple locations.
- Allows you to create portable folders. These folders will appear in each E-mail client you use to access your account. Your account will look the same at work, at home, and at your friend’s house.
- Because your E-mail messages are stored on the server, you must monitor your mailbox size and delete messages to avoid exceeding your mailbox size.
Using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
SSL provides additional security to your E-mail communication. SSL encrypts your messages between your E-mail client and our servers. SSL is optional. The addresses provided will work without SSL turned on. If you decide not to use SSL, please change your incoming server to imap.emailsrvr.com the port to 143 and the outgoing server to smtp.emaisrvr.com the port to 587 to 8025.